Work with HG
Want to take on the most rewarding and complex cases and biggest challenges in litigation? The kind of work you became a lawyer to handle? Do you want to do it on your own terms without sacrificing work/life balance? Hilgers Graben is the firm you’ve been looking for.
Eighty-five percent of our employees are ex-BigLaw. They are credentialed, talented attorneys who want to do high-stakes litigation work without hectic hours and punishing commutes of BigLaw or a big city.
We offer positions in our Lincoln, Nebraska headquarters as well as the option to work for us remotely around the country.
Work in Lincoln, Nebraska
Working at Hilgers Graben’s Lincoln, Nebraska headquarters offers something that almost no other firm offers – the opportunity to work in a smaller, but thriving, community, while working on high-stakes matters and having smart and talented teammates. Working in Lincoln offers the opportunity to have a true work/life balance and to get out of the big city grind.
Lincoln is more than meets the eye: it’s ranked #1 in the United States for its healthy, affordable housing market and #2 in the country for its denizens’ work/life balance. Home to the University of Nebraska, it’s a college town with a thriving downtown area.
HG Job Opportunities
Chief Operating Officer (Lincoln, Nebraska)
Hilgers Graben is hiring its first Chief Operating Officer! The firm is seeking an entrepreneurial, detail-oriented individual who can help the firm navigate its next stage of growth.
In joining Hilgers Graben, you are joining a nationally-recognized law firm that embraces and lives its “no jerks” culture, which has developed a reputation as an innovator in the legal industry, and which is disrupting the market for complex, large-team litigation and discovery services. The firm has been named one of the fastest growing companies in the country, with offices coast-to-coast and its headquarters in Lincoln, Nebraska.
The COO will report to the Chief Executive Officer and the Board of Directors, and includes multiple functions:
- Talent Experience and Recruiting – manage the firm functions for talent experience, including onboarding, recruitment, benefits, and other HR-related issues.
- Technology – manage firm technology and outsourced IT provider.
- Operations and Management – maintain firm operational excellence and build systems as needed.
We are seeking someone who is comfortable working in a dynamic, fast-moving, no jerks culture, and who has experience, aptitude, and judgment needed to thrive in a sophisticated professional services environment.
- Strong administrative, management, and leadership abilities.
- Ability to work with limited direction and provide direction and guidance to other staff.
- Capable of handling multiple priorities.
- Must be able to analyze issues, anticipate consequences, make decisions, and initiate action.
- Ability to communicate complex information effectively, both orally and in writing, to all levels of the firm.
- Able to build consensus and work in a collaborative manner.
- Capable of dealing with difficult situations and people.
- Ability to encourage and motivate employees while maintaining consistent office practices and procedures.
- Must be highly organized and self-directed in approach to work.
- Must be able to manage administrative support staff to accomplish their objectives and goals.
The successful candidate should have experience in a financial or general administrative role in a professional services firm and be comfortable working in a law firm environment. A professional accounting designation (CPA) or an MBA is a plus for this position. Also a plus for this position is a track record of successful business ownership.
Full Time Attorney (Lincoln)
Ever want to practice in a smaller community and enjoy the way of life of a small town, but have the sophisticated practice of a big firm in a big city? Hilgers Graben has built a firm that offers that kind of practice and is now in the market for an associate with elite credentials. The firm has a nationwide practice and is growing its headquarters in Lincoln, Nebraska. All of the firm’s attorneys in Nebraska have elite backgrounds, with former federal appellate clerks, state supreme court clerks, and graduates of elite law schools, including Stanford, Harvard, and the University of Chicago Law School. They work for some of the biggest companies in the country on sophisticated commercial litigation, intellectual property litigation, and discovery matters. The firm is the top of the market for associate salaries in Lincoln. Enjoy lower billable hour requirements, short commutes to work, and a flexible, family-friendly work environment. The firm is offering a $25,000 student loan repayment bonus for those who join the firm (paid after two years). If interested, please send a resume to [email protected].
Are you based in the United States, have a big law firm or elite legal background, looking for more flexibility in your work schedule but still working on top matters? Hilgers Graben is hiring for part-time litigation attorneys and discovery counsel. Work with a first-class, family-friendly team on sophisticated matters while avoiding the facetime, internal bureaucracy, and demands of the big firms. If interested please email [email protected].
Litigation Partner (Anywhere)
Hilgers Graben is always looking for the right fit to open a new “spoke” city in a major market. We currently have presences in Denver, Dallas, and are exploring Atlanta. Right now, major unfilled markets include Chicago, Houston, Kansas City, as well as markets on the coasts. Here is what we look for in our leaders for spoke city offices: innovative, energetic leaders who fit our no jerks culture. We have a preference for litigators with 10+ years of litigation experience at a big firm, those who have a passion for litigation, strong interest or proven ability to develop business, and a positive approach. If you are looking for something different than the weekly grind, the daily commute, billable hour and origination pressures, and/or the bureaucracy of being at a big law firm in a big city, we might be a good fit for you. Inquire with Mike Hilgers at [email protected]–all inquiries will be held in strict confidence.
Full Time Litigation/Trademark Paralegal (Lincoln)
Hilgers Graben PLLC is a nationwide litigation firm based in Lincoln, Nebraska. We were recently named one of the Inc. magazine’s fastest growing companies in the country. Our innovative firm is seeking a Litigation and Trademark Paralegal to help support our nationwide litigation practice.
We are looking for someone who fits our firm’s core values: no jerks, investing in building trusted professionals, having a culture of service, no fear, and thought leaders.
Our preferred candidate can handle the following types of tasks:
• Manage complex litigation matters in federal and/or state court, including knowledge of electronic filing, docket management, and like tasks
• Collect, analyze, organize, and summarize documents, discovery, testimony, transcripts, and trial data for multiple attorneys and multiple cases
• Prepare pleadings, draft answers to discovery, and prepare documents for production
• Assist in preparing witnesses for depositions and trial
• Utilize a variety of software and on-line applications for discovery assistance and document production
• Obtain and organize trial exhibits (attend trial as necessary)
We are looking for someone with the following skills:
• Ability to demonstrate effective communication and organizational skills
• Ability to communicate professionally in both written and verbal form
• Ability to work with a variety of team members, including attorneys and other staff
• Three years of complex litigation experience preferred
• Trademark prosecution experience preferred
If interested please email [email protected]